Monday 14 May 2018

A Photo a Week Challenge: Livestock

Today I am joining Nancy from Nancy Merill Photography with her Photo a Week Challenge. When I saw that this week's subject was 'Livestock' I decided I must join in. Who remembers  learning about imprinting at school?  Birds by instinct will follow the first thing they see on hatching which helps to keep them safe. The ducklings and the balloon experiment is one that I clearly remember from my distant schooling. The ducklings on hatching were exposed to the view of a balloon which was imprinted in their memory then as they grew they followed it as if it were their mum.
Our hens would have been hatched in incubators with no sign of a mother hen. I often think that this is why they will race over to follow any human being crossing through the field. This gives rather a Pied Piper effect.



No comments:

Post a Comment