Wednesday 7 March 2018

5 in 5 : Ewes in Low Sun

I am two days late joining Sandie with her 5 in 5. The idea is that you take your camera and your timer and snap as many pictures as you like in 5 minutes. The tough bit is always choosing those 5 to show. Yesterday when I was asked if I would check the ewes I grabbed my camera because I had a feeling that they would be bathed in the low evening light.
You can see in this first picture that the snow drifts are still lingering.


The ewes are now getting near their time with less than a month to go before lambing. They are looking good but it is a good idea at this stage to check them twice a day. They are more likely to get stranded on their back as they get bigger. They also get a bit itchy at this time of year and have obviously been using the fallen branch in the forefront as a back scratcher leaving fragments of wool behind.


The ewes as always have picked up the red tinge from our red soil.


The photos are taken with a telephoto lens but the sheep are quite quiet and let me walk relatively close to them even with Poppy in tow. She was of course on a lead. She is pretty good amongst the livestock but I wouldn't risk having her off the lead near expectant ewes. Upset from being chased could cause them to abort.



Fingers crossed that they stay healthy for the rest of their time.

1 comment:

  1. Just found you through the 5 in 5 on Itchifingers. I've always been fascinated with lambs. Being a city girl I rarely seen them up close. Love seeing the golden hour light in your photographs.

    ReplyDelete