Tuesday 17 October 2017

A Meteorological Phenomenon

I was on the road by 7am yesterday taking the student daughter back to university. It was while we crossing the Severn Bridge that I noticed the sun in my rear view mirror. It was perfectly framed by one of the bridge towers and was pink in colour. I was suprised to see it was the same colour on the return journey and indeed was still pink when I got home.
The framed sun would have made a great picture but it would have been far from safe to try and take a picture of it. I had to wait for an attempt until I got home.


The sky was a strange colour and there were reports of street lights coming on in the middle of the day and birds roosting.


My photos don't do it justice. It is apparently caused by Saharan dust drawn north by Hurricane Ophelia. We have been fortunate to miss a lot of the wind so far. My attempt to catch the trees moving in the wind were pretty useless.



4 comments:

  1. The sky is definitely an unusual color. And I can relate to the difficulty of trying to capture the movement of trees unless they are truly bent over from the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the sun and whole atmosphere was orange here this afternoon too. It was pretty eerie. Dad commented this evening that it had really creeped him out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly Red October. I read that London was experiencing higher smog because of the smoke from the wild fires in Portugal along with the sands of the desert. You've got some good shots of the pink skies. We had wicked wind storms here on Sunday with lots of resulting damage to trees, homes & cars. Mother Nature is giving us a wild ride into winter.

    ReplyDelete