Saturday 19 August 2017

Wind Power

When I first read the list for the Summertime Photography Hunt created by Mary-Lou I visualised what I would like to photograph for No. 23 Something Powered by Wind. Somerset is not over blessed with windmills but there is one that I very occasionally pass. I did have a back up plan with this children's windmill in my niece's garden.


Yesterday I popped down to the village of Wedmore in search of an outfit for the forthcoming wedding. I made a small detour to drive through Chapel Allerton where I knew I would find this windmill.


Ashton Windmill which stands on  a ridge on the Somerset levels known as The Isle of Wedmore is in an ideal position to catch the wind from all directions.


There has been a windmill here since as early as 1317. The present tower is at least 200 years old and was a flour mill until 1927. 


The windmill has been extensively restored in recent years. The most recent addition has been new sails. It is maintained by the local council Sedgemoor and is open most weekends in the summer manned by volunteers. The workings are still inside but not usable. I shall have to return when it is open.


My shopping trip incidentally was successful.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah to successful clothes shopping. What a neat windmill - WOW since 1317. We don't have many examples of windmills locally. The only one I can think of is more of a art piece in the park. The only working windmills around here are those metal ones for moving water in a pond or those really huge hideous power windmills, I'll say no more ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find! Your little pinwheel reminded me that there were pinwheels at the end of each row at my niece's wedding. It never occurred to me that they'd be fodder for the scavenger hunt!

    ReplyDelete