Monday 21 August 2017

Nymans: A Garden for All

I have already mentioned that I visited Nymans Garden last week. Nymans is a National Trust garden in Sussex which was originally created by the Messel family. I was in Sussex to attend a wedding and decided to make a stop on my return journey. My visit was quite a whistle top tour as I still had a long journey home and was aware of the build up of Friday holiday traffic. The gardens open at 10am and I naively thought that my arriving at this time I would find it still quiet. How wrong can you be! The car park was already nearly full. It is obviously a popular and indeed ideal venue for young mums and their children. A great location for them to let off steam.


The extensive grounds and in particular the pinetum were badly effected by the storms in October 1987 when 486 trees were destroyed. It's open aspect looking out over High Weald would have made it particularly vulnerable to these storms.


The gardens are gradually recovering and were certainly spectacular to see on my quick walk round.



I particularly liked the more informal beds beyond the house.



There is a large rockery area.


A wildflower meadow overlooking the croquet lawn.


The wisteria archway must be spectacular in early summer.


There is of course a sundial.


As well as quite a few garden ornaments and sculptures.


The more formal gardens are closer to the house.


I was struck by thie very dark agapanthus.


The walled garden had a colourful border which was attracting a lot of visitors.


A little patience was needed to take the photos waiting for everyone to move on.


The rose garden is perhaps past its best for this year.


With occasional beautiful blooms.


A water fountain is the central feature.


Tomorrow I shall show a little of the house exterior.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful grounds & such a pretty rose. Your sun dial photo shows the "house" in such a lovely view. In your second photo my mind went quickly to the thought, what a great field for a cross country course (horses)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful garden - and seems quite large.

    ReplyDelete