Saturday 29 July 2017

A Well Known Landmark

Anyone who is familiar with travelling up and down the M32 in and out of Bristol will have seen the big house on the hill. Yesterday I went with my walking group for a walk in bits of Bristol that I had never visited.
The walk took us from Snuff Mills into Stoke Park and then under the motorway. This park are the old grounds of the Dower House perched on the hill.


There has been a house there since the 1550s and was rebuilt in 1760. It became Stoke Park hospital for most of the 20th Century and many patients with learning disabilities lived within its walls.


We stopped to reflect the history of the house as we climbed the hill opposite and two of our party recalled working there during their nurse training. It was still a hospital when I first started work in Bristol in the late 1990's although mainly closed it housed the Burden Neurological Centre. I recall accompanying children there for EEGs. It is now luxury flats which must have a remarkable view over Bristol.
You can see in this next picture the M32 on the right.


After a walk along the top of the hill with views ranging across Bristol we dropped back down to walk through Eastville Park. There is a small fishing pond and I managed to get a photo that I was concerned I would not find for the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt. This is No. 14 A Person Fishing.



6 comments:

  1. I've seen that house a few times, and often wondered about it. Thanks for this x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I shall think of you as I go past next month, and nod, knowledgeably, to myself. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to think too much about what it must have been like to be incarcerated in one of these institutions. A lot of them are now luxury appartments and I am not sur I would want to live in one of them.

      Delete
  3. Thanks again for letting us accompany you on your beautiful walks. I like learning about these places, too. I had the same thoughts about being housed there with learning disabilities. It seems so extreme now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wondered why, when they converted it to flats, they painted it such a noticeable shade of yellow rather than cream or off white.. nice walk though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I understand it yellow is the original colour.

      Delete