Wednesday 10 May 2017

The Animal Wall

I made a trip to Cardiff the other day and had a bit of a walk about. It's surprising how much more you see at a walking pace which just passes you by in the car. I have passed Cardiff Castle quite a few times on various trips. It's pretty central in Cardiff and close to the shops.


The entrance certainly reminded me that I must return sometime for a look inside.





It was the wall that fascinated me most.



The animal wall as it is known features animal sculptures along the top. 


Nine of the figures originate from soon after the wall was built in the 1880s and were finished in 1892. The original ones have glass eyes.


You can see from the pictures that they take quite a lot of damage from pollution, vandalism and passing birds.


They were last restored in 2010.


Some are more endearing than others.



Which is your favourite?

5 comments:

  1. Interesting wall - I think the sassy cat leaning on the wall would be a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that I could pick a favourite. This is another great example of something I would never have been able to enjoy without another blogger to take and post pictures. I think it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely the camp lion. "Pose? Oh, go on then. No, I'm not lifting it up! Have you any idea how heavy this thing is?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are quite amazing! My favorite is the tapir; I love the way he is looking over the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I have walked along beside the castle many times and I don't ever remember seeing them so I must have been looking st my feet or thinking about shopping! They are great.

    ReplyDelete