Monday 24 April 2017

Memos, Mail, Me and Monday: Looking Back and Forward

Good morning to all after another lovely weekend and a special wave to Sian and all the other Mondayers.
This last week my family and friends have been smiling and looking back with me. You may have seen from my post yesterday I have been doing a little clearing with my mum and brother. Have you had a guess at the object I showed yesterday? All will be revealed tomorrow! 
Something else that we turned out was 3 bags of my old school books which have mostly found their way to the recycling bin but I couldn't resist fishing out a couple.


Younger daughter took my old English book from secondary school off to bed to read my ' biography ' written at the age of 14. Interesting reading (at least she thought so!) but what struck me was the lack of encouraging comments from the teacher!
Then there was my diary of my one and only school holiday or school journey as we called it. I think I fancied myself as a second Enid Blyton! Here is a snippet with some amazingly precise details.


It all sounds a bit of a nightmare for the teachers with us all wandering down the train looking for seats. This second clip sounds like a teacher's worst scenario with two transport mishaps in one day. Imagine amusing us kids for all that time.


Well I won't bore you with any more even if younger daughter did find it hilarious.
It's also been a weekend of saying goodbye to our lovely minister Michelle at our church who is moving on to new pastures. A time for farewells and looking forward with a service and lunch. No pictures but these are of the lovely blossom in the church garden.




So wishing you all a great week and I shall be popping round to see you all soon.

9 comments:

  1. I love stuff like this! Get the others out of the recycling bin quick! (Please?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a quick look at some of them long enough to come to the conclusion that I would have had a more fulfilled teaching of Geography if we had been taken on a field trip to New Zealand... My daughter was suitably impressed with my Biology O Level work but I did point out that we were mainly spoon fed. No thinking allowed!
      Now it's time to say goodbye to it all... 40 plus years on😟πŸ˜₯

      Delete
  2. Love all the detail - the fact you had seen many swamps caught my eye. have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't much of a journal keeper, and what I did keep I destroyed long ago---much to my dismay today. Reading yours made me realize how foolish it was to have gotten rid of them. I recently unearthed the journal I kept while traveling in Europe the summer after graduating from college. I'm anxious to reread it, and see what I've forgotten (and remembered accurately) from that wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time reading old journals - good that your daughter(s) can see what Mum was like before she was a Mum. The blossom tree outside of the church is so beautiful, light, fluffy, very fairy like. Happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blossom is beautiful and you've made me wish I'd kept some of my old school books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha! We'll make a scrapbooker out of you yet :) I'm so glad you held that notebook back so we could take a peep. You have got me wondering if I could put my hands on my holiday journal. I only really did the one too.

    Wishing you a good week Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only ever remember doing one holiday diary when I was at school - a skiing holiday in Austria. I read it a few years ago and I went in for detail as well, listing all the stations we passed through on the train through Europe and noting every single meal we had during the holiday. What made me laugh was that the actual skiing hardly got a mention! It's long gone now, consigned to the recycling bin after I'd read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure it was interesting reading the details of your 'School Journey'! I am not sure that I went on one did I? At least not until secondary school when I went to Norway on the ski-ing trip. Undocumented but memorable!!

    ReplyDelete