Sunday 28 August 2016

Sunflower Success

Success is not something I can claim over growing Sunflowers this year. My seedlings started out well and were very healthy when I planted them. I chose a different variety this year from Sutton seeds called Ruby Sunset. I knew they were a smaller flower but they have proved to be pretty scruffy.


The flowers themselves are okay. They are not supposed to be very big.


The plants themselves are very sparse or have been completely destroyed by those little delights the slugs and snails.



Meanwhile my brother in law in his vegetable garden next door doesn't seem to have had the same trouble.


They are obviously a different variety and I believe some have self seeded but they are prolific.



And very tall too!


Is this one deep in thought?


Another variety was doing well at Lacock Abbey.


I shall be trying a different one next year and war on the slugs will be declared!








3 comments:

  1. the snails have been a menace to my flowers this year. Lovely warm colours on your ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't had a lot of luck with sunflowers this year, either. The farmer out in Henrietta has an entire field of those tall yellow ones. Earlier in the month, there were cars lined up all along the road with photographers taking photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to see the differently coloured one all the same. WE have an all round war on slugs here

    ReplyDelete