Monday 8 August 2016

Memorandum Monday: From the Old to the New

Happy Monday to Sian and all the other bloggers. I am off to experience something very new for me later today. Let's just say it involves warm water, roof tops, lots of relaxing, talking and perhaps a little exercise in the centre of a city near here..... Curious? Well more about that later in the week!
  Meanwhile I have had a little time for reflection. Just over a week ago I attended the thanksgiving service for a friend who had sadly died. She was a naturally cheerful lady who always had a smile on her face and sadly was taken in her late 60s. The service reflected her exuberant personality including rousing hymns. It was one of these " One more step along the world I go" that got me thinking and made me reflect on Sian's Memorandum Monday. The refrain certainly reflects the idea of looking towards new ideas and actions. "And it's from the old I travel to the new"
  This theme is reflected in the way things move forward on the farm. The combine harvester arrived ready for action and has made a start on the barley. It would have started in the morning but rain overnight delayed proceedings for a while. Seeing the modern combine made me reflect how things move on. 
When we visited the Royal Cornwall Show we saw an old thresher in action.


My husband said that there had been one like this on our farm way before his time and the remains had been disposed of many years ago. The days of steam powered farm machinery  in particular is long gone.


Nowadays the combine harvester that not only threshes but cuts as well is a massive slick machine that makes short work of the task.


I didn't get out in time to see the combine in action but they will be back tomorrow to finish the job.


It's interesting to look back and not to forget but equally important to look forwards to the new.







7 comments:

  1. so true - and finding the right balance between the two. Have a lovely week including your mystery trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can guess where you're going for your mystery trip. I've only heard good reports about it, so I hope you have a fantastic time there.

    I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I agree with Helena about needing to find the right balance between looking back and looking forwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds maybe like some kind of a spa thing? Have a wonderful time whatever it is!

    This is a lovely post..very thoghtful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reckon I can guess where you're off to. Have been myself and will be interested to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you watch The Living and the Dead that was on recently? I found it really interesting seeing the old farming methods and the changes that were just being introduced. I hope you enjoyed your day out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It won't be long before the big farm equipment will be rolling again around here. Hard to believe summer is nearly over already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely great to see the contrast between the old and the new, especially in the context of farming equipment. That old combine harvester from the picture sure helps one gain new appreciation for craftmanship back then and the modern convenience of newer machinery.

    ReplyDelete