Wednesday 9 December 2015

Pairs: Berries and Nuts

As Wednesday rolls round again it's Pairs time again. This week I am using it as well for No. 7 in the Winter photo scavenger hunt Nuts and Berries.  I have started to look for berries and remnants of nuts when out walking. On my windy walk the other day most of the berries I came across were moving too fast for a close up. I did however spy some floating in the water trough! I think they may be rose hips and be there as a result of either the wind or hedge trimming.


Then bizarrely I was given by a customer a sprig of holly (I do get given some strange things!) which I have put in my conservatory.


I also found some rather tatty sweet chestnuts amongst the leaves.


So I picked some up and brought them in. They are also now in the conservatory.


So Pairs for today.
              Outside and Inside.  Berries and Nuts.  Colourful and Brown.  Smooth and Prickly.




8 comments:

  1. I love the holly berries and the chestnuts. well done, that's another one ticked off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well spotted - lovely lot of super red berries on the holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think getting a sprig of fresh holly would be lovely. I wonder if there is some old tale significance to the gift? Neither of the local chestnut trees had any nuts this year - I wonder about this too. Your last photo of the sprouted nut is a good close up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely holly berries...that is one thing I miss about the job I retired from...they used to bring in fresh holly sprigs that we could take home!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great labeling of the pairs. I love the holly. Ours doesn't seem to have many berries this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done really good finds for Pairs and the Scavenger Hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! great finds for Pairs and the Scavenger Hunt! These are my favourite things! Im a terrible collector of 'stuff', I can't help it. This week I have some rather lovely pieces of bark!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful holly! I checked with Google about the meaning of a gift of holly and there is an old story, apparently from the Midlands, which says that the holly and ivy represent the male and female respectively. Whichever is brought into the house first determines who will dominate the household for the next year...

    Well I won't mention it to him....

    ReplyDelete