Wednesday 5 August 2015

Pairs: Ripening Tomatoes

This week Helena's Pairs has taken me into the greenhouse. My brother in law always grows a good display of tomatoes. He usually tries something different as well as the tried and tested varieties. This year is no exception. We have purple tomatoes slowly ripening. Then of course the traditional red in this instance a cherry tomato.

  

We are undecided on this new addition as yet. They are slow to mature and then are half purple and half red. They will look great in salad dishes but what will happen to them in soups and relish? I will show you what they are like when they are ripe.
So names for this weeks pairs?
 Purple and Red
 Novel and Traditional 
 Big and Small

10 comments:

  1. hmm not sure about purple tomatoes - I'm impressed with the length of the trusses of cherry toms

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen purple tomatoes before. I wonder how they taste

    ReplyDelete
  3. I with Helena on this one ... not sure about purple tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purple tomatoes - how cool is that. Along side the purple or orange cauliflower, multi coloured peppers and carrots you could create a virtual rainbow salad. Purple may turn black in a stew or sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow- I have never seen purple tomatoes before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tomatoes---and have had some purple heirlooms that were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These apparently are called Indigo Black.

      Delete
  7. Impressive tomatoes, and I really like the complementary composition/cropping for this pair. Alas, I can't have tomato but would love to hear how the purple ones taste - as and when you get that far...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We grew the purple tomatoes one year long ago they were great. Super pairs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pairs - my tomatoes are not that advanced. I've had a couple of purple tomatoes which tasted nice, hope these do too.

    ReplyDelete