Sunday 12 July 2015

The Summer Photography Scavenger Hunt: Five Finds in One Location

My book club meeting this month was held at a friend's house who lives close to Clifton in Bristol. This gave me an ideal opportunity to find a few photos for Rinda's hunt on the way. I made a small detour to approach via one of Bristol's most iconic landmarks. Clifton Suspension Bridge straddles the Avon Gorge ValÅ‚ey and is classically viewed either as you drive up the Avon Gorge or from the end of the docks. I have decided to look at it in more detail from the bridge itself. 
  This of course gives me my first find of the day. No. 6 A Metal Bridge. This is the view as you approach this remarkable bridge as you approach from the North Somerset side.


I parked my car and had a walk across the bridge. I was firstly greeted by one of the many Shaun the Sheep scattered around Bristol at the moment. This chap is amusingly named "Isambaaard".

                   

Isambard Kingdom Brunel was the main designer of the bridge which was started in 1931 and finished 33 years later. It was a remarkable piece of engineering and although it has stone pillars at either end (one currently shrouded in plastic) it is essentially constructed of wrought iron. More pictures to follow!
  The approach to the bridge gave me my second find of the day. No. 14 A Traffic Signal.  All traffic is stopped to pay the £1 toll and to regulate the amount of traffic on the bridge.



Walking across the bridge gave the ideal opportunity to see in detail the ironwork of the bridge.










The bridge offers views up and down the Avon Gorge Valley. This gave a third find. No. 20 A Natural Body of Water. The river Avon runs out into the Bristol Channel. It used to be a very busy water thoroughfare when the Bristol Docks were in the centre of Bristol but as ships became larger the docks moved to the edge of the Severn at Avonmouth. The river is very tidal exposing muddy river banks at low tide.



On reaching the Clifton side I came across my 4th find. No. A Public Restroom, Bathroom or toilet. These Victorian Public Conveniences are probably best viewed from the outside rather than a visit to use them.


My final find of the day is perhaps a bit of a cheat. No. 19 A Ticket Booth.  Brian has pointed out that now the bridge toll is fully automated these are not technically ticket booths.


The original toll booths are really more in keeping.


However seeing as these are also redundant my search had better continue. Pretty satisfied with my finds I returned to my car, paid my £1 toll and continued to my book club.






















8 comments:

  1. You've done well. The view of the river from the bridge could also be no 16: a panoramic view taken when standing somewhere high in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I happen to know someone else is using it for that

      Delete
  2. Fun fun fun! Love that bridge - never noticed that the bridge was mainly iron. Isambaaaard :o) Most amusing. (No cigar I notice!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures of the bridge! I am ashamed to say that I have walked across the Golden Gate Bridge, contemplated walking over Brooklyn Bridge but have only ever driven over the Clifton Suspension bridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that hard to believe Julie! So you never took Lauren to the rock slide either, rubbed shiny by all the little bottoms of Bristol! I guess we are better positioned for taking visitors. We park at Leigh Woods side and walk over. Also have a friend who lived by the bridge so I have even walked across clutching trays of eggs!

      Delete
  4. shame I visited it the day before we got the list! Well done on 5 items in one place - it could be a new sub challenge within the hunt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I especially like the traffic signal.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely to see some close ups! We were past this very spot on our way back up England at the weekend, but we were in a great line of traffic and I couldn't get a clear shot

    ReplyDelete