Thursday 30 July 2015

Another Metal Bridge

It is nearly the end of August and tomorrow Rinda's is posting another link up for the Summer Scavenger Photography Hunt. I thought therefore today I would take a moment to look at another not so famous bridge in Bristol. I came across this bridge on my walk along the river in the Temple Back area of Bristol. I thought immediately that this would definitely qualify for No. 6 A Metal Bridge even more so than the more famous Clifton Suspension Bridge which I posted before.


Meads Reach Bridge was named as a result of a competition. The runner up name was Silver Streak Bridge (I rather like this name). It was opened in 2008 costing 2.4 million to build.It is entirely stainless steel. It weighs 75 tons and is 55 metres long. There we are quite a few uninteresting facts that I didn't know!


It links Bristol Temple Meads Station to new developments on the other side of the river. The station can be seen in the background here and oh! Could that count as another tent there?



It is also part of the national cycle routes. It is only clear when you get closer quite what shape it is.



There is quite a noise when people walk over it and even more so when used by cyclists.


I read on the Evening Post Website that it has been recently been resurfaced due to a being slippery in wet weather and causing several cycling accidents!




5 comments:

  1. Lovely bridge! And definitely not uninteresting. You never know when trivia like that will come in handy at a quiz night: "Silver Streak was runner-up in the naming contest for which local landmark?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often seen that bridge from the bus, I didn't realise there was a competition to name it. An area of Bristol I have rarely walked around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great shots there Maggie, I love visiting Bristol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the shape of the bridge

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shape of the bridge too. I think I've said before to you that I like your pictures of Bristol and environs because that's where I used to holiday to visit family. It has probably changed a lot since then

    ReplyDelete