Saturday 23 May 2015

A Flowering Chandelier

  We have quite a few young horse chestnut trees around the hen houses which are now beginning to provide shade for the hens on sunny days. Over the last few weeks the horse chestnut trees have been in full flower. When you look at the trees from a distance the flowers look rather like mini chandeliers.

 
When I was at junior school there were a lot of 'conker' trees around the playing fields. One day we were taken during an English lesson to look at the flowers in detail and write a poem. I am pretty sure that my poem was not very good but the beauty of that flower has stayed with me ever since.


The intricate detail is amazing.


 We will have a while now to wait for the shiny conkers!


2 comments:

  1. I laughed when I read the title and caught sight of the photo - when we were little we used to look out for these trees to pass the time on long car journeys and the first person to spot one would shout "CANDLE TREE!" I don't think I have ever seen a "candle" bloom up close though - thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they seem to be blooming particularly well this year - but I have never looked at one up close before -

    ReplyDelete