Thursday 16 April 2015

They're Back!

  It is always a time of anticipation in April watching out for the first sighting. Brian was the first this year. He spotted them flying around when he was preparing the potato field last week. My sister in law was the first to spot a pair actually in the yard on Monday.Spot what you may ask? Swallows! The real sign to us  farmers and to many country folk that spring is truly here! There is nothing more delightful than seeing them flying across the sky after their long flight from South Africa. You can read more about this here.
I have spotted them a few times but only just managed to catch them on camera yesterday.
I wasn't going to risk missing them so took one from a distance first!


Then stood a bit nearer.







I think this is a pair. One appears to have a longer tail (the male). We think there are only two so far with hopefully more to follow.



8 comments:

  1. I've been looking for them, but haven't spotted any yet.

    Birds on a wire is reminiscent of last years summertime photographic scavenger hunt - I still get excited when I see birds on a wire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it reminded me too of the scavenger hunt!

      Delete
  2. I do love to see them swooping around and a sure sign of the new season - I've not seen any around here yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a bit further to fly to get to you Helena!

      Delete
  3. We also use birds as a marker for spring. For us, it is first The Red Winged Blackbird & the Osprey. Robins & Grackels will arrive when there is still snow. The Bluebirds are usually the last to arrive back - truly they mark warmer days & nights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never see swallows here, though I was in the swallow Patrol in Guides many years ago so I still keep looking. Lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are fabulous. I thought I saw a couple last week, but can't be sure. If they are over your way they will be here for sure, I'll look harder. I can never get over the fact that those little birds travel so far.

    ReplyDelete