Friday 20 March 2015

Partial Solar Eclipse

The media has been full of talk of the solar eclipse over the last few days. I had not really anticipated that we would have much of a view of it. It was sure to be cloudy and anyway we did not have any viewing filters. I had not thought in advance of capturing it on film. I was therefore caught a bit unaware when Brian produced a welding mask for us to use (although some say that this is not strong enough protection). All the family had a go including Gran! Photo courtesy of one of her granddaughters.

                              
     
The view was remarkable despite some early cloud. It was then I had the idea of taking a picture through the rather grubby welding mask.


I then scrambled around to find my tripod but alas could not find the attachment for the camera! ( I found it afterwards). So I had to stick to some slightly shakey hand held views but they do show the progression.






The light was quite eerie at the height of the eclipse and a lot of the birds were roosting on the roof tops. I will be better prepared for the next one in how many years?





3 comments:

  1. I think they are great pics, and I had never realized that welding masks are green...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great images, it did feel odd as the light dimmed and yes I need to think of a way to leave myself a note for 2026 to get some eclipse watching glasses in advance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you! Great pics. I saw nothing of the eclipse here - not even a darkening of the sky :o(

    ReplyDelete