Monday 8 September 2014

Apple Jelly

The Katy apple tree which we were given by my mum when Kate was born nearly always has a good crop of apples.


They are a lovely red eating apple which are great to eat straight off the tree but do not keep terribly well. Thatchers Cider make a Katy Apple Cider, worth trying if you like cider.


I like to use some of them to make apple jelly. I find that mixed with a sharper and higher pectin Bramley they make a good pink jelly. I collected a mixture of fallers.



It wouldn't do to leave them out on the lawn for long with Monty around!


They all needed a good wash before using.


I soon had a good pan full chopped up.


I use an old book that has been handed down to me for my jelly recipies.


It has the most wonderful drawings to depict the different fruit.


As instructed in this book I cooked the apples in water (1 pint per 2lb of fruit) until very soft. It does not look very appetising at this stage.


Then for the messy bit getting it into the jelly bags and hanging them up. The book has a great illustration of how this can be achieved.


I would need to do a bit of dusting of my chairs before I did this so I use my cupboard handles. I hope they are strong!


The lovely pink liquid soon begins to collect.


That's all for tonight to get as much juice and pectin as possible it must hang overnight and no squeezing if you want a clear jelly!
















2 comments:

  1. What delightful drawings, in this vintage book!

    What a family treasure.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. At long last I am having a go. Just random cookers from Dad's friend... I have a couple of pints of juice already and the rest will drip through overnight. My recipe seems to indicate I'll have about 4 pints by the morning ... I'd be surprised but it's very exciting! (You'll laugh (or cry) when you see my filtration method.)

    ReplyDelete