Wednesday 6 August 2014

Zoom in on Bath Abbey

I have decided to have a go at Helena's meme Zoom in Zoom out at http://helenascreativemaven.blogspot.co.uk . It is in week 32 so I hope Helena does not mind me joining so late.
I often pass Bath Abbey when shopping in Bath. The girls and I often eat our sandwich on these occasions in the Abbey Churchyard. It is equally admired and photographed by many tourists every day.


Like many buildings in Bath it is only when you look closer or zoom in that you can appreciate the detail in the architecture.


Either side of the west window is carved Jacob's Ladder with the angels climbing up to heaven.




And at the top Christ is depicted to greet them.


Have a look up at your buildings next time you go shopping!







9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful set of carvings, it's funny what we sometimes pass by without noticing. Recently while passing by Lincoln Cathedral we spotted a new addition to the carvings right there - at eye level. It was a skull with a gold coin in its mouth - representing money being the root of evil! It's always worth looking closer isn't it? [Especially when you've got your camera with you!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing detail and I love how each has a different pose and looks as if they are frozen in movement - lovely to have you joining in with my meme

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing carving!
    Love the angels climbing the stairs....
    Participating in ZIZO is great for opening your eyes to the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The angels on the ladder are just wonderful! Thanks for joining in; I'd hate to miss seeing these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many times have I walked past there and never noticed any of that? Great pics! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love architecture like this from the 'days of old' with such wonderful detail. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really beautiful ZIZO and Abbey of course. Oh! and a lovely lace to walk around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful carvings - ignored by many I suspect. Great ZIZO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Bath abbey - took photos of those angels for a friend many years ago. Was there this last week and enjoyed the countryside and glorious weather.

    ReplyDelete